- 1 cup pecans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (10-oz.) packages frozen whole ocra, thawed*
- Peanut oil
- Place pecans in an even layer in a shallow pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally.
- Process pecans, baking mix, and next 2 ingredients in a food processor until pecans are finely ground. Place pecan mixture in a large bowl. Add ocra, tossing to coat. Gently press pecan mixture into ocra.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven or cast-iron skillet; heat to 350°. Fry ocra, in batches, turning once, 5 to 6 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels.
- *1 (16-oz.) package frozen cut ocra, thawed, may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Bisquick Original All-Purpose Baking Mix.